Car insurance is not something to look at lightly and car rental companies know that! That is why they do the best they can to protect you. .
Easy driving rules in UAE
Driving rules in the Emirates are important and not following them can carry serious fines and severe safety issues.
Make sure you have a read of the driving rules below so you are on top of all that is expected of you as a driver in the Emirates!
- You will be driving on the right-hand side of the road and passing on the left. This will be normal for people that come from the US and most European countries. However, it will be the opposite as those coming from countries such as the UK and Australia, so watch out!
- If you are driving with your kids, remember that if they are between 4 and 8 years old, they have to sit in a booster seat. And no child younger than 13 years old is allowed to sit in the passenger seat. Make sure you let your car provider know so they can make all the arrangements.
- It is, of course, required to wear your seatbelts.
- It is not allowed for drivers to use their phones unless it is through a hands-free set.
- Make sure you respect all the road rules-Dubai doesn’t joke around when it comes to fines!
- All cars must be insured and registered, so make sure your rental agency gives you all the required paperwork.
- Don’t drink and drive, not only for the possible fines but for your own safety. When I say this, I mean not even one beer! Blood alcohol level has to be 0, otherwise you risk being charged up to US $5,000 in fines, being deported or even been thrown in jail!
Last but not least, speed limits are always clearly signaled and are usually as follows:
- Motorways: 100-120 km/ph (minimum speed being 60 km/ph)
- Urban Areas: 60 km/ph
- Residential Areas. 40 km/ph
PRO TIP: Use Waze App to get real life updates about speed limits on a particular part of the road you are on.
Is car rental beneficial than public transportation
If you need some more facts to help you decide whether or not you should rent a car during your holidays!.